Places to go, things to do
- Grand Ledge
- Grand Ledge is pretty much the only real rock to climb in lower Michigan. We are fortunate that is it only 15 minutes from campus. It may not be spectacular, but real rock is always better than the gyms.
- Planet Rock
- When winter comes Planet Rock is a good alternative. There is a gym in Ann Arbor and Pontiac.
- Climb Kalamazoo
- Climb Kalamazoo also has a great rock climbing gym. They are about 1.5 hours from MSU.
- "The Red" River Gorge
- Down in Kentucky, "The Red" has some awesome climbing only about 6 hours from campus. There are hundreds of trad and sport routes, but limited top-roping.
- The Red River Gorge Climbers Coalition
- The RRGCC is committed to keeping good relations with the area and climbers. They are a good source for current information about climbing areas.
- The New River Gorge
- The New River Gorge is another beautiful place to rock climb. It is about 8 hours from MSU. The OC always has a beginners clinic for climbing when we go down for the rafting trips.
- Trad Girl: The New River Gorge
- Trad girl is a good source for routes and stories about climbing in the New.
- The Mad Moose Lodge
- More known for ice climbing, the Mad Moose Lodge is nestled in the heart of the Montreal River Harbour. Come summer, all the snow and ice is gone and the rock routes are in. They are about 6.5 hours from State.
- The Mad Moose Lodge
- Vist Darlene and Buddy for an ice climbing adventure and stay at the Mad Moose Lodge. They also rent gear and offer classes. They are moments away from a ton of great ice climbs.
- Munising is also full of great ice to climb. Look for their ice fest in February. It's always a great time. Plan for a 7 hour drive from MSU.
- Williamston White Water Project
- Less than 20 minutes from campus, Williamston has a small white water play area on the Red Cedar River.
- Mount Pleasant - Chippewa River
- A bit bigger than Williamston, the play spot in Mount Pleasant is only about an hour's drive. It feature 3 small rapids with holes good enough to surf.
- Napoleon Skydiving Center
- Experience the thrill of a life-time at Napoleon Skydiving Center. The drop zone is near Jackson, a little less than an hour away. Mikey and his staff are extemely knowledgeable and friendly and love to take Spartans on their first jump.
The New River Gorge is a lot of fun to rock climb and hike through when we head down to Fayetteville for the fall and spring raft trips.